2.13.2012

Are You Kidding Me? I Don't Understand?

It’s often said our kid’s brains are like sponges and are most impressionable for learning and language in the toddler to early elementary years.  This makes a lot of sense, since this is probably when a person learns the most about being alive and how to function as a human as they will at any other point in life.  What this also means, is that our kids are major copycats.  It’s true; much of the behavior your child engages in was learned behavior through observation.  So, if your child is engaging in some behavior you don’t love, the first place to look is, you guessed it, yourself!  

The moments I’m reminded of this most are when my kids say or exclaim something with some enthusiasm.  They say it, and I’m like “where did that come from?” And before I can even finish the question, my mind knows… THAT’S ME!!  Currently my son, 5 ½, is walking around reacting to numerous things every day with the question “Are you kidding me?” in a very expressive fashion.  And guess what I belt out when something puzzles me?  That very same thing!  I’ve noticed also, on occasion, when something isn’t working out just how it’s planned my son will exclaim “I don’t under-STAND!”   Again, right out of old pop’s playbook.  So that’s fun, isn’t it? 

The funny thing is he almost goes out of his way to come up with situations like this.  It happens in his play, not just as unconscious reactions to life scenarios.  So, my habits, whether bad or good, become a means of intentional copying, not just reaction.  So isn’t it daunting, humbling, and hopefully, motivating, that these little beings that look up to us so much and desire so deeply to copy us deserve a decent example and model to copycat? In large part, we’re modeling who they are becoming.  We’ll make mistakes, so there will be plenty of opportunity to teach about that too, but let’s make sure we give some intentional effort to just not be blatantly rude, crude and socially unacceptable.  This good practice in general, sure, but more importantly, while our kids are watching.  And believe me; they’re watching more than we’ll ever know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment